Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed May 21 19:51:39 UTC 2008

Christopher Stone <chris.stone at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/5/20 Konrad Meyer <konrad at tylerc.org>:

> > As was brought up in a recent thread (of a similarly long and pointless
> > nature), any Fedora user is free to work on getting support for
> > whatever they want into Fedora proper, and popular vote has absolutely
> > *nothing* to do with what actually gets included in Fedora. If you want
> > something done, do it yourself. If you aren't satisfied by numerous
> > explanations, find something that satisfies you more than Fedora. We
> > love having more users, but repeated complaints from leeches are just
> > annoying.

> I'm sure a repo will pop up with all the necessary rpms if nVidia
> doesn't come out with drivers soon enough.

Go ahead an put it up!

>                                            It is just frustrating
> that it has to happen this way.  Such a small amount of effort to make
> the distro user friendly for everyone,

It is *not* a small amount of effort. We are not just talking of
recompile-old-X-packages-and-forget, it means an ongoing effort of bug
handling, keeping other packages depending on the old API, ... Plus if this
is done, it is quite probable that nVidia would /never/ see the point of
upgrading their stuff ("Why bother? It works fine with the <nVidia specific
set of packages>"?) And if such is kept up, it would snowball into an
enormous job of keeping whatever backward compatibility dozens of random
hardware and software pieces require. Better go for a long-time-stability
distribution then (but then again, I just saw problems with an oldish
distribution for which they can't get machines it runs on anymore...).

>                                        and yet we must stick to our
> principles and screw the end user.

It is more like Fedora users are its users /because/ Fedora is bleeding
edge, and of its principles; and that means breaking some eggs from time to
time (if I may mix metaphors). If that doesn't apeal to you, you aren't the
kind of user Fedora is aimed at. Can't please everyone, sorry about that.
Just shop elsewhere.

>                                    It doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense to me.

[Full disclosure: I'm an nVidia user myself, and 3d has /never/ worked
 here (had enough grief with the binary driver that I gave up on it long
 ago). But for my needs, the current nv driver is plenty enough. YMMV.]