upstart plans for F10+

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu May 22 20:44:07 UTC 2008

Colin Walters (walters at verbum.org) said:
> > - Reworking things like netfs to be more sane, when
> >  it comes to networks coming and going, network block devices being
> >  attached and detached, and so on
>
> Aren't pretty much all kernel based network filesystems broken in the
> world of dynamic networking?

I mean, right now we have a static init script that runs once
on boot to mount NFS, SMB, etc, and set up network block devices.
It's also (in F9) kicked when NM brings up a new default route.

What would be sane is to have it just mount things when it can
reach the proper network, and lazily unmount them when that
network goes away. Heck, this can be extended to all filesystems -
why should you do mount -a to mount /usr/local - why not just
have anything in fstab automatically mounted when the device with
the proper filesystem signature is found?

Bill