upstart plans for F10+

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu May 22 22:13:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> I mean, right now we have a static init script that runs once
> on boot to mount NFS, SMB, etc, and set up network block devices.
> It's also (in F9) kicked when NM brings up a new default route.
>
> What would be sane is to have it just mount things when it can
> reach the proper network, and lazily unmount them when that
> network goes away.

The issue with this is that at least last time I checked, at least
some file systems like NFS basically don't handle the network going
away from underneath them; if you have any userspace processes
accessing them they'll be wedged unrecoverably in D state.  I gave up
long ago on using kernel-based network filesystems on my laptop for
this reason.

Simo says CIFS handles this, so maybe other filesystems could be fixed.

But anyways, mounting after the network is available (triggered by NM)
makes sense probably.