NetworkManager: I want to believe, but... [was Re: F9 potential service network bug?]

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri May 23 03:47:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 10:26:08PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > Too much context got snipped out, apparently. The question here is: what
> > is the advantage of having NetworkManager handle *static* addresses?
> Even with static addresses you can have your connectivity dropped for
> various reasons.  And having one way of finding out "is the network up"
> makes it so that we can actually *depend* on that in other places
> throughout the OS

But "is the network up" a generally useful question? I find that "can I
reach the network resource I need" is the more important one, and the "is
the network up" issue basically a detail. I mean, who cares if the network
is up if the gateway is down? This is why external monitoring (big brother
or the like) is more practical.

As I said earlier, I can see this as having some minor use, but I'm gonna
have some serious trouble making it alone be the selling point.