Plan for tomorrows (20080522) FESCO meeting

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri May 23 07:46:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 14:36 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> It's even easier than that. The drivers mentioned above _already_ have
> firmware loader support.  All that's needed is for someone to convert
> those arrays into an actual file the firmware loader can read, and
> package it up in an rpm, along with udev scripts to auto-load it,
> and we can disable that CONFIG option in the kernel.

Yeah, but that's just the start. We'd need to convert other drivers to
use the firwmare loader too instead of having their own private blobs.
And while we're doing that we _are_ going to get people complaining that
we force them to use an initrd where they didn't need to before. Hence
the suggestion to make the firmware loader capable of having a built-in
set of blobs.

--
dwmw2