NetworkManager: I want to believe, but... [was Re: F9 potential service network bug?]

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat May 24 07:49:39 UTC 2008

Le Sam 24 mai 2008 03:45, Zing a écrit :

> IMO, the options that server admins want (or at least I want) is what
> dan essentially says: to run without a daemon "managing" my network
> interface... it's just pure bloatiness and feel goodiness from this
> perspective.

It's pure bloatiness now because NM people are focused on the
client-side. If they stopped thinking about laptop needs but focused a
little more on non-laptop desktop and server needs they'd have better
acceptance.

1. "how can I pull down the network interface as fast as possible to
save battery" or
2."how can I move my network interface from wifi to wired"

are laptop considerations

1. how can I identify network interface is my access to network foo
2. how can I make sure the right filtering rules for network foo are
activated on this interface
3. how can I signal the software components supposed to be providing a
service to network foo this is their interface and they can activate
4. how can I adapt the DNS records if needed (some servers are on dhcp
too, some desktops use dyndns)
5. how can I bond it with another that provides the same path for
redundancy

is something that would provide a real added value for non-laptop users

--
Nicolas Mailhot