2.6.26-0.25.rc3.git4 or VirtualBox ?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 01:26:09 UTC 2008

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Sun, 25 May 2008 16:47:39 -0400
> sean darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm using VirtualBox to run rawhide.
>>
>> kernel-2.6.26-0.25.rc3.git4.fc10.i686 locks up hard with:
>>
>> unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 00000246
>>
>> 2.6.25.3-18 works fine.
>
> I wouldn't call it  "fine";
> VirtualBox is one of the top causes of kernel oopses that we're seeing
> on Linux right now... I'm not surprised it's not working well with
> 2.6.26 either.

"fine" means it WFM. It does all I ask.

I'm certainly not a vbox fanatic. In fact, I've only been using it for a
couple of days. That's why I posted: is this a vbox problem, or a kernel
issue.

If no one else is seeing a hard lockup on bare metal, then it's vbox.
AFAICS from the response, 1 guy sees the same lockup on bare metal, 2
don't like vbox.

sean