upstart plans for F10+

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon May 26 06:14:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I mean, right now we have a static init script that runs once
> > on boot to mount NFS, SMB, etc, and set up network block devices.
> > It's also (in F9) kicked when NM brings up a new default route.
> >
> > What would be sane is to have it just mount things when it can
> > reach the proper network, and lazily unmount them when that
> > network goes away.
>
> The issue with this is that at least last time I checked, at least
> some file systems like NFS basically don't handle the network going
> away from underneath them; if you have any userspace processes
> accessing them they'll be wedged unrecoverably in D state.  I gave up
> long ago on using kernel-based network filesystems on my laptop for
> this reason.

It should be noted that anything using gnome-vfs, that is, most anything
gnome, seems to like to happily stat every mounted filesystem constantly,
often for no apparent reason, even if that app isn't even doing anything
with that mount. This means your entire desktop locks the f-ck up if an NFS
mount goes dead, gnome panel and all. It also seems to prevent automounts
from ever timing out.