Let's make a plan for python3.0 in Fedora 10+

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazqueznet at gmail.com
Fri May 30 10:10:11 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 21:17 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> The python programming language is going to be releasing a new version
> sometime around the time of the Fedora 10 release.  Unlike past
> releases, this one will have wide-spread backwards incompatibility in
> the python language itself.  We need to think about how we want to pull
> the new language into the distribution and porting of existing
> apps/modules.  Here's a proposal to start us off but I hope geppetto
> (the python maintainer) and ivazquez (who maintains python3.0 packages
> in his spare time[1]_) will weigh in with their thoughts.
>
> .. _[1]: http://ivazquez.fedorapeople.org/packages/python3000/
>
> == Proposal ==
>
> * We should review and add the python3000 package to Fedora devel ASAP
> so people can work out any bugs with the packaging before F10 release.

Agreed... but I'm obviously biased ;)

> * python3000 will not be in the default install for F10.  It should not
> conflict in any way with the python-2.x package we ship.  We should not
> port our system tools (system-config-*, anaconda, yum, etc) to
> python3000 for F10.

Agreed. Instead, we should work on porting them to at least 2.6 (if not
3.0 outright) for F11.

> * In F10 modules should not be shipped for python3000 unless upstream is
> taking patches for python3000/has a python3000 compatible release branch.

Agreed. We don't want the burden of maintenance.

> * python3000 modules should have a separate namespace from python2.x
> modules.  The packaging committee will need to decide on that
> (python3-foo, python3000-foo, python3k-foo are possibilities.
> python3.0-foo should not be considered as 3.x versions should not have
> the same backwards incompatibilities that 2.x->3.x has.)

Agreed. I started using "python3000-" myself, but I'm flexible.

> == Rationale and Notes ==
>
> * python3000 is backwards incompatible with python2.x.  Unicode strings,
> print becoming a function, exception changes, removal of old-style
> classes, and many other changes will prevent nearly all python2.x
> programs and modules from functioning in python3000 without source code
> changes.  In this way, it is practically a new language.

To be clear, it will be incompatible with Python 2.5 or earlier. Python
2.6[1] is a way station between 2.5 and 3.0, and can be used to help any
porting efforts.

[1] http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.6.html