Networkmanager service is shutdown too early

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri May 30 20:06:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:38 PM, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>

>> Simo's point still holds though. What you've described above is a better
>> reason to have not designed nm around dbus not a reason why we should be
>> okay with our network services going away when we restart dbus.
>

> If you want your operating system to be held together with shell script,
> duct tape, and ad-hoc use of Unix domain sockets that's cool, I'd rather
> have a reliable and stable system.

Let me reply with something a little less antagonistic - it's just
frustrating because everyone sees "Oh another daemon, let me reboot it" and
blames application developers, when it's just too hard of a problem to deal
with.

DBus actually shares a lot of similarities with SCTP (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_Control_Transmission_Protocol); it's a
realization that message-oriented (as opposed to stream-oriented) is
fundamentally more useful to applications.   DBus just happens to be
implemented in userspace, but that doesn't mean it's just another daemon,
any more than TCP stacks that live in userspace in some old operating system
designs could just be restarted at any time without any obvious side effects
on the system.

Speaking of userspace kernel integration, I'd be pretty surprised if you
could reliably stop the fuse service too; given all the discussion about
nearly unfixable race condititons in rmmod that have (
http://lwn.net/Articles/31474/).

Auditing every program and making them able to cleanly support restarts of
system services like HAL, NetworkManager, and PackageKit would be a huge
task, for similar reasons because these services build up state. It might
sort of work most of the time, but what you *really* do not want is for the
system to sometimes break when the user plugs in a USB key when the
background package upgrade happened to restart the bus at just the wrong
time.