Networkmanager service is shutdown too early

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Fri May 30 20:49:38 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 03:33:37PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> DBus is not the same as any other random software because it is explicitly
> designed to provide reliable communication *between* components, much like
> the kernel.  If you restart it at random times that reliability guarantee is
> destroyed.

So the questions you should ask are
- Why does restarting dbus have to be unreliable
- Why isn't there a recovery mechanism
- Why does network manager have to do the work itself not the support code

And more fundamentally

Why the ... are people still writing software which doesn't try and tolerate
faults that are recoverable to a useful extent.  Yes dbus might have to lose
a few messages and send everyone a "duh whoops" event so they can recover but
"oh dear it broke everyone reboot" is not good engineering.

So I'm likewise pleased the Debian people raised a sensible point.

Alan