Fedora 8 most popular (then 7?)

Steven Moix steven.moix at axianet.ch
Sat Nov 1 09:35:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 21:49 -0600, orion at cora.nwra.com wrote:

> > Oh, we already did for Fedora.
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Metrics
> > http://smolts.org/
> >
> > Rahul
>
> http://smolts.org/static/stats/stats.html -> OS
>
> Hmm, Fedora 8 is the most common followed by F7.   (What's the expiration
> time again for smolt reports?)
>
> Is that telling us something?
>
> Are there historical snapshots of the smolt database?  It would be
> interested to see the relative installs of 6,7,8 just before 9 came out.
>
> - Orion

I don't know exactly how these statistics are are generated, but keep in
mind that:

1) The Smolt service isn't launched by default (if I remember
correctly).
2) A lot of people don't send Smolt profiles during the installation
process. Maybe the don't because they don't have network access during
the installation (think wifi).
3) After an initial submission, their profile never gets updated.

This leads me to think that these statistics are probably biased?

Steven