Strange ext3 problem

Joshua C. joshuacov at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 1 13:46:16 UTC 2008

2008/11/1 Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk>:
> "Joshua C." <joshuacov at googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> by the way, why cann't fedora see the 3gb of memory and shows only about 2,25gb?
>
> You most likely downloaded the wrong iso. Your computer is x86_64, not i686.
>

> /Benny
>
> (Who believes that the 32-bit kernel should refuse to boot on 64-bit
> machines. Welcome to the 90's.)

No, I have i686 and I know that it cannot detect the whole 4GB of
memory. and i know that 128mb are used for the video anyway. so i got
about 3968mb free to the OS.

What I expect is that the i686 detects about 3GB of free memory (not
the whole 4GB). according to different forums linux (and windows x86)
x86 should be able to detect up to 3,2GB of free memory (the limit of
32bits). but my fedora 9 i686 sees only 2,25gb (which is away from the
3GB). Windowsxp sees exactly the same amount of memory.
So either i got a crapy mashine or the forums are wrong.