Fedora 11: moving to posix file capabilities?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 17:44:23 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Steve Grubb wrote:
>>>
>>> Since they are stored as xattrs, tar and star should do it if you
>>> tell them to get the extended attributes. Also, aide supports looking
>>> for changes in xattrs if you need that, too.
>>>

>> What about cp -a and rsync -a?  I expect either of these to give me a
>> working system.
>
> Read the man page. You need to pass -X or -xattrs to preserve extended
> attributes.

Yes, but it is more complicated in the rsync case in the face of
changing APIs and attributes.  The remote side is unlikely to match
exactly or I wouldn't be doing this copy, and it might even involve
temporary snapshots parked on a 3rd (also different) system as a backup
or master copy. Does -xattr always mean exactly the same set of extended
attributes on every system, or will I need a matrix of what version of
what OS running what version of what filesystem to be sure I have
matching semantics?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com