Dia has .la files

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 20:06:17 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:

>>> The libtool developers understand that the .la files aren't needed in
>>> normal operation. The reason that they insist on keeping them is so
>>> that `make uninstall' works since the .la files are the only place
>>> that store information about the actual libraries (.so + links vs. .a,
>>> etc.).
>>
>> Right - we have a "make uninstall", it's called "rpm -e".
>
> OK, now convince the libtool developers to break everyone's `make
> distcheck'. Might be tough. But I certainly would support a way to opt
> out of that situation at build time. Something like:
>
> export LIBTOOLFLAGS="--no-installed-la-files"

Here's a patch against libtool-1.5.24 (should apply to F-9 or rawhide)
that adds a --no-la-files option. If the source tree libtool has been
generated using the patched libtool, then setting
LIBTOOLFLAGS="--no-la-files" will suppress installing the .la files.
However, older automake does not pass LIBTOOLFLAGS during the install
phase, so it may not work in all cases.

To test, you can just apply to your system ltmain.sh:

# sudo patch -b /usr/share/libtool/ltmain.sh \
    libtool-1.5.24-no-la-files.patch
# sudo patch -b /usr/share/libtool/libltdl/ltmain.sh \
    libtool-1.5.24-no-la-files.patch

Find a simple libtooled package to test (I've been using libpciaccess
since it's clean), run `autoreconf -iv', export
LIBTOOLFLAGS=--no-la-files and build away.

--
Dan