Fedora 11: moving to posix file capabilities?

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Sun Nov 2 01:15:09 UTC 2008

Dax Kelson <dkelson at gurulabs.com> wrote:
> On 8:12:45 am 11/01/08 Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:

[...]

> > The file system capabilities inside the kernel are treated as if they
> > were suid apps. IOW, nosuid also disables file system capabilities.

> That's too bad. Seems like that would be an elegant solution. No aid or rpm
> verify complaints since the filesystem itself isn't modified and
> compatibility with both types of kernels. Maybe worth separating suid and
> file system capabilities within the kernel in regards to the "nosuid" mount
> option.

It wouldn't be the first time Fedora (and before that, Red Hat Linux)
requires a kernel with specific configuration options. If you compile your
own kernel, you _are_ on your own...

As long as it isn't a Fedora-only patch to the kernel, it is OK with me
(yes, I used to run self-compiled kernels most of the time [Got caught by
other stuff lately]).
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513