Semi-OT: makedepend isn't aware of /usr/lib/gcc/$ARCH-redhat-linux/4.3.0/include/

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:39:15 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 8:31 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 15:27 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> Why not run gccmakedep instead?
>
> Why do it in a separate pass at all? Why not just get gcc to do the
> dependencies for you when you first build each object, using -MF -MD?

That's a very valid argument, but I think the reason is because
existing build systems expect to do it in a separate pass. I was
working on a patch for mesa to just use gcc directly for generating
the depends, but it was kind of difficult to shoehorn it in without
breaking the build for non-gcc.

--
Dan