Comps/groups/tags-concepts [Was: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29]

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 3 17:43:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:

>> My perspective on server-type installs has always been the same:
>> kickstart a minimal and %post the rest in via: yum -y install pkg1 pkg2
>> pkg3. But it might just be the years of success deploying like in that way
>> which makes me think that ;)
>
> That's fine for people that have been using Linux for a long time and
> something that I recommend too.  But how do you know what set of pkg1
> pkg2, etc you want without those years of experience?
>
> It's a hard problem.  And unfortunately, it's a problem that's made that
> much harder by the vast amounts of choice we present to people.

Which is part of what having the same interface available online would
solve.

I'm a server-type-person. I go to the packagedb and I look at the 'daemon'
tag and start going down from there.

daemon->mail->MTA:
  - exim
  - postfix
  - sendmail

daemon->mail->spam:
  - amavisd-new
  - spamasssassin
  - pyzor

daemon->web:
  - httpd
  - lighttpd
  - thttpd

etc, etc.

And part of how you learn what pkgs are available is by doing arbitrary
searches for stuff you know about and learning organically. There's not
much we can do about the vastness of the internet other than make our
searches and our keywording pretty good.

-sv