Fedora 8 most popular (then 7?)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Nov 3 19:58:12 UTC 2008

Bill Crawford wrote:
> Well, I don't think I've submitted smolt stats for this machine, but it
> still runs F8 for two reasons:
>
> 1. KDE4 just wasn't ready for me to use here for work. Fun to play with at
> home, but I couldn't imagine using it here without some workflow changes.
> The latest versions I've seen in Rawhide would be pretty much usable at
> work now, BUT ...
>
> 2. I can't use the latest snapshots or Rawhide on my system here because X
> (and the boot sequence unless I use "nomodeset nofb£ on the kernel command
> line) explodes, the OOPSes have gone to kerneloops.org, but the problem
> is, there is no support for soft-booting secondary video cards and I have
> three (all PCI) in this machine. Which helps me find bugs in xscreensaver
> ;o)
>
> So, I simply cannot upgrade it at the moment.

Try F9 + updates then, you get the exact same KDE (4.1.2 with the same
patches) (except that kdepim, Digikam and Amarok are KDE 3 versions, you
can get the KDE 4 versions rebuilt for F9 from kde-redhat unstable if you
really want them, but if you want something rock solid you'll want the KDE
3 versions of those anyway), without the assorted breakage elsewhere.
(Hopefully that stuff will get sorted out soon in an update for F10.)

        Kevin Kofler