Detecting binaries in rpmbuild

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Tue Nov 4 10:57:22 UTC 2008

On Tue November 4 2008, Jon Ciesla wrote:
> > I just discovered in a package I'm putting through review that the
> > upstream tar ball contains some pre-compiled binaries.  It seems like
> > this would be a good check for rpmbuild to run automatically before the
> > %build step.  Thoughts?
>
> Fine, as long as it doesn't prevent building rpms from precompiled
> binaries.  I mean, other than compilers, we really shouldn't do it in
> Fedora, but taking away that functionality would prevent companies
> building some rpms for internal use.  I agree that rpmlint sounds like a
> great place for this.

I would more prefer if this was included via an extension in rpbuild, e.g.
like there is a way to enable rpath checking. Also wrt. to rpmlint, how
should this work in rpmlint? Should it run a rpmbuild -bp and then examine
the build directory? It is afaik absolutely valid to have binaries in the
tarball that is included in the srpm and remove them in %prep.

Regards,
Till