Detecting binaries in rpmbuild

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 14:58:48 UTC 2008

Richard W.M. Jones (rjones at redhat.com) said:
> > > I just discovered in a package I'm putting through review that the
> > > upstream tar ball contains some pre-compiled binaries.  It seems like
> > > this would be a good check for rpmbuild to run automatically before
> > > the
> > > %build step.  Thoughts?
> >
> > That would kill some packages. Like all compilers that have to bootstrap
> > theirselves.
>
> Should compilers be carrying binary stuff in their source tarballs
> even for bootstrapping?

Well, RPM doesn't necessarily *require* that you build from source, even
though it encourages it. Otherwise it wouldn't have support for things
like nosrc rpms.

Hence, I'd agree with the person who suggested that this be an optional
check, or better done in rpmlint (which, admittedly, may not be feasible.)

Bill