Who moved my bug?

shmuel siegel fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Fri Nov 7 01:36:37 UTC 2008

Brian Pepple wrote:
> Or the thread were the proposal was originally discussed by the
> community before it was brought to FESCo.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-January/msg01359.html
>
> Later,
> /B

Thanks for the reference. It was a pleasure reading a long thread that
was constructive throughout. But I do want to point out two things.

1) Developers who have no interest in triage might not have watched this
thread. In particular, they might not have realized the consequence of
the bugzilla workflow changes. Also, as was pointed out in the thread,
users would not understand that ASSIGNED meant something different in
Fedora than in other open source projects. The point is that this
discussion and decision making process occurred within a limited
audience, not necessarily including everybody who will be affected. It
should not be surprising that other audiences will object when they
realize the consequences of the changes.
2) As the subject was reopened in this list and needed another committee
discussion to close the issue, the conclusion should have been
communicated to this list, preferably as a note to the thread that
reopened the discussion.

That said, I really want to praise Jon for a well thought out proposal
for improving the bugzilla workflow. Also, after the last few flame wars
that I have watched, the entire approach to community input was refreshing.