Anaconda installs OOM with selinux-policy-targeted rpm from F9 updates

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 16:34:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> wrote:
>> selinux-policy-targeted is a memory hog, but it should not have changed
>> that drastically in updates.
>>
>> Is this repeatable?
>
> 100% repeatable on the 3 attempts on the lower-mem machine. On the same machin

Ok - now I have a few more tests

 - it does not happen in text mode
 - it does not happen in gui mode if I'm looking at the VT
 - it does happen in gui mode if I am looking at X

And according to the logs, it's does not appear to be an OOM -- the
last reading shows 32MB free. Or it's such a sudden OOM that it never
gets written to disk. Memory usage logs are captured doing (in the
VT):

  tail -f /mnt/sysimage/root/install.log >> /mnt/sysimage/root/instmem.log &
  vmstat 1 >> /mnt/sysimage/root/instmem.log &

so I have a log showing mem usage during each rpm installation. The
memory usage is not specially high.

Perhaps something else is happening during that rpm installation. Is
there any command that I can pass to anaconda to write a more verbose
log?

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions