db-compat

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Nov 11 09:18:29 UTC 2008

Le mardi 11 novembre 2008 à 00:16 -0500, Jon Masters a écrit :
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 00:23 +0200, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

> > > db-4.1 was last the system DB library in RHEL 3/FC1.
>
> What's the point of a "compat" library if not to support software built
> for such systems?

Compat libraries are here to help transitions within the repository,
when some packages have been rebuilt to use the new version and others —
not. They're killed as soon as this transition is complete because:
— compat libraries have their own maintainer cost, and we don't want to
pay it when there are no in-distro users
— as long as they're available there's the risk someone adds a new
package depending on them in the repo, making the transition go
backwards

Thus compat libraries represent a grace period for everyone to
transition gracefully. That some ISVs do not want to understand this and
wait till the grace period is over to realise they need to do some work
is something you should take with those ISVs. Fedora/RHEL provided a
grace period, they chose not to use it.

It's the same problem as users wanting to block xorg releases till
nvidia supported the new APIs, while nvidia waits for new releases to be
official to start working on those APIs.

Bad service from ISVs that do proprietary software, nothing less.

--
Nicolas Mailhot