Proposal: Rolling Release

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 15:16:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 07:51:05 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 22:17:05 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> >> Beg your pardon?  How many years has fedora policy forced a horribly
> >> fractured 3rd party repository situation
> >
> > Which policy is that?
>
> I'm not even sure how to describe it.  There's the part about not
> admitting that users need things like vendor provided drivers, Sun Java,
>   VMware, etc. and coordinating with the people that provide them.
> There's the part about never coming to terms that the several 3rd party
> repositories could agree on to coordinate into one or at least stay in
> sync with each other and the core.

How does that answer my question? Let me repeat. I've asked what policy it
is that "forced a horribly fractured 3rd party repository situation"? I'm
not aware of any such policy. The Fedora licensing guidelines are not
reponsible for fragmenting the 3rd party repo community. The licensing
situation just required that any stuff that cannot be included in the
Fedora package collection can only be provided in an external repo. What I
observe is that the 3rd party repo people have choosen not to team up for
various reasons, some of which are unchanged for several years. Repository
mixing problems are still alive and in some cases they are still caused by
replacing Fedora core packages. Coordinating beyond the borders of the
Fedora Project means extra efforts. There simply is not enough man-power
to spend additional time on coordinating between 3rd party packagers. They
are occupied with the task of keeping packages in their own repo
compatible with eachother. What hasn't changed in several years, expecting
individual volunteer packagers to stay informed about a multitude of 3rd
party repos and coordinating updates and upgrades for ultimate inter-repo
compatibility is still a tall order.