Proposal: Rolling Release

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 17:41:38 UTC 2008

On 2008-11-11, 16:06 GMT, Les Mikesell wrote:
> The point of using any distribution instead of rolling your own
> linux from scratch is that others theoretically have worked
> together to make sure that everything is compatible. If
> a distro doesn't arrange for this kind of cooperation it can't
> provide what users need and expect.

I know that I shouldn't feed a troll, but I couldn't resist -- in
my not so humble opinion, most of the third party repos (except
for the one, which I cannot name here) are more or less products
of the time when it was difficult to put new packages into Fedora
proper (yes, there were times before Extras). Now, I really don't
see the reason, why you cannot take your package (except for the
pesky legal reasons, but less put that aside) and put that
package into Fedora.

Do I miss anything?

Matěj