Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 21:28:04 UTC 2008

Dan Nicholson (dbn.lists at gmail.com) said:
> > Further testing with this is giving me some bizarre errors and hangs
> > relating to VT switching that don't happen with this patchset backed
> > out. Unless I can track those down, I can't really recommend using
> > it.
>
> Without doing anything from event.d, there's nothing on tty1 for the
> `telinit 5' from runlevel 3 case, right? I don't want you to use a
> broken patch, but I do think the current behavior is wrong.

It's 'wrong', but it's predictably wrong without side-effects on the
rest of the interface (crash, hang, etc.) and easily explained what
to do. At this stage of the release cycle, that's better than a patch
that fixes it for some cases and does really bizarre things in ways
that I haven't characterized yet. (I've seen hangs in the VT switch
code, and I can reliably reproduce a condition where the console
is perfectly fine... but not actually updating on the screen.)
Still poking at it, though.

Bill