Proposal: Rolling Release

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Nov 12 12:33:44 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 12:51 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > Well, ... if the fedora infrastructure was really serving contributors,
> > > if peer/package reviews were functional, if testing was functional, then
> > > this all would not be an issue.
> >
> > > The unpleasant truth is: It isn't.
> >
> > Standard response: how exactly isn't it?
>
> Let me pick just 2 examples:

> * infrastructure: Fedora's infrastructure in first place mean struggling
> with a zoo of more or less arguable processes/work-flows (freezes, FTBP,
> wikis ...), a zoo of more or less functional tools (bugzilla, FAS,
> packagedb, koji, bodhi, ...) and a zoo of bureaucracy they are
> implementing.

How exactly do you propose getting rid of that and _get the work done_?
Complex work requires coordination. Get over it.

> * testing: The parties testing a contributed package in first place is
> the package's upstream, the packager and this package's end-users.
> Fedora only contributes to testing a package insofar, as having a
> package in Fedora widens the "potential user-base" of a package.

Dead wrong. Upstream can only test i /their/ environment, not as part of
Fedora.

> >   How exactly do you propose to make it better?
> I guess you should know my answers :-)

Humor us.

> Points to getting started with would be
> * "getting rid of the freezes"

Impossible. If you want to ship something halfway tested, you need to stop
the firehose of updates and concentrate on fixing.

> * "getting rid of the update delays"

What do you mean?

> * improve the tools contributors are forced to use.

Help out it that then.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513