Proposal: Rolling Release

Bojan Smojver bojan at rexursive.com
Wed Nov 12 23:02:23 UTC 2008

David Nielsen <gnomeuser <at> gmail.com> writes:

> And if it's deemed stable enough for F10 as a release then surely it should be
stable enough as an update for F9. A big and not uncomplicated update granted
but we could in theory put this into updates-testing and roll it out for F9 as
well. If the argument against doing this would be stability one would be left
questioning how F10 could be labelled stable in the fist place.

An oversimplification, IMHO. Just because all that was stable with the rest of
the stuff shipped with F-10, doesn't mean the effect will be the same when it
lands next to the rest of the stuff from F-9. It needs to be compiled (with a
different compiler and libs?), packaged (against different dependencies?) and
tested _again_ (in how many combinations?).

It is just too much work for not good reason whatsoever.

--
Bojan