starting Fedora Server SIG

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 17:36:28 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 09:23 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
>> Now, ksplice does let you avoid reboots but has tradeoffs.
>
> Such as our kernel team completely ignoring any bugs that come from
> ksplice usage.

And more to the point, the reason you are replacing the kernel is very
likely that you found out about some bugs in it.  Now, do you trust the
old version with bugs you know and the new replacement with bugs you
don't know yet (and perhaps even different device initialization
requirements and maybe even a different device naming strategy) to
handle a clean transition on the fly with a process that hardly anyone
has tested?  I'll pass.  There might be some chance in the more
constrained RHEL world.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com