starting Fedora Server SIG

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 13:55:29 UTC 2008

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 1:30 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> It uses ANY memory. That's more than is reasonable considering that the
>> former solution (ifconfig) uses none.
>
> NM and ifconfig are not comparable.  Now I think saying that NM
> shouldn't use very much in the way of resources in the static routing
> case is a reasonable request; certainly with the push for
> virtualization and running lots of OS instances it makes sense.  But
> it's just not reasonable to say "ANY" memory; that's not a reasonable
> constraint to operate under.  We're trying to build an operating
> system; that necessitates adding APIs and features, for example
> network status change notification which is useful everywhere.

A server operating system needs to be more predictable than dynamic. How
does SNMP deal with these changes?  It screws things up in general if an
SNMP index ever changes.

> It's perfectly fine though if someone's "create mediawiki appliance
> image" tool strips out stuff; but we should be moving the core OS to
> be more unified and featureful in general.

The server side of Linux has been fairly feature-complete for years and
is responsible for most Linux usage.  Don't break that to get a desktop
that still might never be popular.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com