starting Fedora Server SIG

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Nov 14 17:54:19 UTC 2008

/me bites

On 14.11.2008 18:32, Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>> But trying to preserve that modularity combinatorially adds to the
>> testing matrix and also makes it significantly more difficult to write
>> code since you can no longer depend on functionality.  It also makes
>> things slower as you have to conditionally check for things constantly.
 >
> I don't disagree, but it is a lot better to acknowledge this situation
> than it is to simply attribute some kind of neo-luddite perspective to
> those suggesting we do anything else.
>
> I'm not saying we keep everything forever, I am saying we might consider
> thinking a bit more before deciding to implement a brand new system
> as solution to an existing problem.

That IMHO is a general problem in Fedora and IMHO one of the biggest
problems of Fedora.

One examples from the last two years: the new firewire stack JuJu. It
afaics is a improvement now, but it was a bit to early when we shipped
it as the "one and only" Firewire stack.

Fedora as a whole IMHO should act a bit more like the kernel developers
that have that "no regressions in new kernels" as goal -- they don't
reach that goal completely but they are quite close afaics.

CU
knurd