starting Fedora Server SIG

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 19:50:51 UTC 2008

Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>> Don't worry, we made that knowledge obsolete.
>> That's the real problem...
>
> The problem is that we listened to the complaint about solar being
> installed by default, and fixed the bug before we released?

The problem is making any esoteric knowledge required and then making it
obsolete.  If you start without any unix experience it may all look the
same, but for someone who runs large existing server farms (and remember
that is where the bulk of linux systems are) any change in
administration procedures or interaction with other systems (monitoring,
snmp management, etc.) is a big cost.  If learning the new approach
provides some improvement and can be expected to be useful for a long
time is may be worth it, but in general things that can't provide
complete backwards emulation are not improvements at all.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com