starting Fedora Server SIG

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 18:30:43 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 11:15 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 13:32 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > I'm still conviced that what is needed is a simple way to export a
> > complete installed list from any working machine along with repo and
> > version information that the machine repeating the install can use or
> > ignore.  That way there is no guesswork in the installer and it works
> > the same for a spin providing some extra stuff in  an additional repo
> > and a local shop with local packages in a local repo.
>
> So develop one. You can start with:
>
> rpm -qa --queryformat %{NAME}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\\n | sort > packagelist.txt
>
> Then on the destination:
>
> xargs yum install < packagelist.txt
>
> There, you're 90% there with just two trivial lines of shellscript.
<snip>

Here's a little python script I wrote that will give you a minimum
package list based on the current install's yum setup.  The idea is that
you can use this to work out a kickstart file based on your current
setup.

(Please note that despite the name, it doesn't actually *build* the
kickstart file; just the packages section.  Also note that it requires
yum-utils.)

Jonathan