F11 Proposal: Stabilization

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 18 22:12:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 17:04 -0500, Michael DeHaan wrote:
>>> Couldn't both the above be solved by 'subscribing' to those sets of
>>> packages via say PackageKit?  That way when PackageKit goes to look for
>>> updates, it only asks for updates for those particular packages.  When
>>> you update, if anything else is needed to satisfy newer builds of those
>>> packages they can be pulled in.
>>>
>>> Of course, what we'd likely see is a combo of "Give me all security
>>> updates" and also "Give me updates only for these sets of packages".
>>> The interesting question is how to design UI around the subscriptions.
>>>

>> I think I like this.
>>
>> In the case of "I just want a newer OpenOffice" and don't touch
>> everything else, that's already covered by a yum install today -- but we
>> do need something for the update case(s).
>
> The upside here is that it's purely client side code.  We don't have to
> change anything about how we prepare and publish updates.

Just to be clear I'm understanding:

we want to update openoffice and whatever it needs, but nothing else.

or you want to list a set of apps you want newer versions of and as little
else as possible?

is that correct?

so it would be like an alias that says:

yum update really means yum update openoffice\* somestuff\*  \
      my_favorite_pkg\*

?

-sv