starting Fedora Server SIG

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 22:27:05 UTC 2008

Doug Ledford wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 00:13 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Jeremy Katz wrote:
>>> Lots of things in a modern system are far removed from the stuff a unix
>>> sysadmin has traditionally dealt with.  That doesn't make it necessarily
>>> "bad".  And as Seth pointed out, this "all new is bad" or "all new is
>>> good" dichotomy is a part of the problem
>>>

>> But if a system claiming to be new/better can't provide more or less
>> exact emulation of the system it wants to replace, it probably really
>> isn't better.
>
> That statement is based on the incorrect assumption that the way things
> used to be is/will be sane for the way things are going.  Sometimes you
> just need to do things differently because what we grew up doing just
> doesn't work any more.

Maybe - when tcp is replaced with some other protocol - or name and
number assignment are no longer parceled out through a hierarchical
process.  Until then, servers need a way to assign  the addresses
manually in ways that are easy to relate to the physical wires that you
plug into them, and it needs to be done by a person with authorization
passed down the appropriate hierarchy.  It's not something a daemon can
guess at.   If you want to make things easier for people who haven't
already automated their processes, you could build a gui that deals with
with configuring the separate programs that need to be tied together for
related concepts.  That is, you could have a gui form where you fill in
a name, ip, and mac address and have the tool build the forward and
reverse DNS zone entries and either the local interface configuration
tied to that nic or the dhcp entry to assign it to a different machine.

For people who have already automated these processes, try not to screw
it up too badly.  If the way it is done now didn't work, we wouldn't
have an internet.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com