F11 Proposal: Stabilization

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 23:16:54 UTC 2008

Seth Vidal wrote:

>>> In the case of "I just want a newer OpenOffice" and don't touch
>>> everything else, that's already covered by a yum install today -- but we
>>> do need something for the update case(s).
>>
>> The upside here is that it's purely client side code.  We don't have to
>> change anything about how we prepare and publish updates.
>
> Just to be clear I'm understanding:
>
> we want to update openoffice and whatever it needs, but nothing else.
>

> or you want to list a set of apps you want newer versions of and as
> little else as possible?
>
> is that correct?
>
> so it would be like an alias that says:
>
> yum update really means yum update openoffice\* somestuff\*  \
>      my_favorite_pkg\*

I think what people really want is 'updates that fix the things that are
already broken' but not 'updates that break something new'.  Can you
come up with a way to 'crowdsource' this statistic?  Perhaps an optional
poll where people could rate the health of their system and individual
apps, preferably tied somehow to the smolt hardware reports so someone
could see how the current updates run on hardware like their own or
which update triggered a flurry of problems.  Or maybe this could be
automated - but the absence of problem reports for an update could mean
that no machines survived to send them...

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com