Adobe Releases 64bit Flash Plugin for Linux

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Nov 18 23:42:48 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Dennis J. <dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:
>> But that's the point. For quite a few people browser stability actually
>> *decreases* when nspluginwrapper is installed.
>
> No... your browser lives... the flash plugin dies.
>
> Without the wrapper... if the flash plugin does something crash-worthy
> it crashes firefox completely. The way the wrapper works..flash
> dies..the browser lives.
>
> -jef

nspluginwrapper development is still important. This is because
nspluginwrapper runs plugins in a separate process, enabling the browser
to survive inevitable plugin bugs, and also the possibility of
additional security through security policy isolation of that separate
process. Fedora 8+ has run all plugins, even native 32bit-on-32bit,
wrapped in nspluginwrapper for this purpose.

nspluginwrapper development discussion here. Please report your problems
running the latest nspluginwrapper (currently 1.1.4) here. Gwenole is
very good about responding to reports, often with patches to try.

If you don't want to deal with reporting bugs, you are free to remove
nspluginwrapper.  But then you have to live with the browser crashes.

http://macromedia.mplug.org/
I maintain a list of tips and workarounds to workaround Flash problems here.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com