F11 Proposal: Stabilization

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 20:54:34 UTC 2008

Callum Lerwick wrote:

> Regressions are inevitable. Why are people afraid of regressions?
> Because it breaks their system. Why are people so afraid of breaking
> their system? Because they're afraid they can't fix it.
>
> Solution: Make recovery from regressions easy. So easy a trained
> monkey could do it. Make it routine. Make it familiar and
> non-threatening. Make it a normal part of everyone's daily life.

The problem is that the reason you want to recover is that there were
bugs in what you installed.  The same reason for having bugs in what you
installed is going to cause you to have bugs in your recovery mechanism.
  So, while this is a reasonable thing to want, it is not reasonable to
depend on it to work every time.  Something like a clonezilla image copy
off to an external disk or network storage might be safe, but not always
convenient.

> Embrace change. Embrace regressions, instability and bugs. Fedora is
> Extreme Linux. I posted my roadmap for doing this in the "My roadmap
> for a better Fedora" thread.

It's only really extreme when you are the first one running a particular
package in a particular environment.  If I had a handy way to run
updates on a test machine a week or two before getting exactly that same
update on a more critical machine (and bailing completely when problems
are found) I'd be a lot less concerned about regressions.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com