What do we need from Bugzilla? (was: My roadmap for a better Fedora)

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Thu Nov 20 13:17:54 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> My question is, what do we need/want/like from Bugzilla?
wishes:
- be able to note a weirdity, failure to configure correctly etc, that
is listed firstly as an issue, and could progress to a bug = triaged to
repeatable steps. alternately, it moves to a FAQ (solve it with a few
simple steps), or a detailed config howto page (ie user just wants free
config help).

- prompt the reporter for symptom, with clear examples:
   - box wouldn't start in normal graphical desktop
   - box wouldn't get to boot
   - service failed to start
   - app failed to start at all
   - text application stopped, saying SEGFAULT
   - application showed a bug/crash dialog
   - application disappeared from my screen
   - app function didn't work as it previously did
   - app function didn't work as expected
   - desktop stopped responding
   - box stopped responding
ie: to a person of basic computer knowledge, what did the issue look like

   - a separate by-line for me-too comments (eg I got that on x86_64, I
got it on a "piece of old carpet" things that people tend to add to
bugzilla / bugs.launchpad etc. These can server as breadth of issue
marker, but aren't really clarifying a bug, with option to add hardware
id from smolt. [ x ] I experienced this symptom and my smolt hardware
dsecription is [http://smotls.y.z/12345656]

     - a way to mark a me-too comment as "me-too".

- a link to a workaround eg in wiki or similar

- text to flow properly when you don't have the browser window full
screen width; currently especially the top fields in the window.
- comment body to be able to flow to the full width of the window, not
restricted by invisible right hand side images/columns whatever.
- auto wrap for long <pre> lines, perhaps inserting  " \" at end of each
line.

- helper for what the bug component might be, perhaps drilling down
through queries like [at boot, before login, after login, running
program]...

- once a component is selected, provide fedoraproject links {open in new
tab} like:
   - bug.r.c open bugs for that component
   - bug.r.c all most recent 25 bugs for that component
   - link to viewcvs toplevel for the package  {devel links with pretty
icons}
   - link to most recent commits for the package
   - list to all koji builds for package.
   - list to bodhi info for package, especially comment/karma page
   - show most recent updates and updates-testing packages, with recent
changelogs
   - a way to trigger yum/PK check for update and offer to install it.
   - "  "   "   "       "  "   "     "  update-testing and offer to install
   - "  "   "   "       "  "   "     "  rawhide and offer to install

Just some thought, DaveT.