requires(post) on coreutils

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 19:34:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 14:19 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> How could one even propose using shell script without coreutils
> installed?  What are you going to do in that script?
>
> Requires(post): coreutils strikes me as just an exercise in bloating
> the dependency graph.  This mindset of putting core OS bits and random
> third party applications in the same mental category of "package" and
> applying the exact same rules to them is just wrong.

That's the fun thing about %post, it doesn't have to be bash.  The fact
that it is for most people is just implementation details.  People could
write their post scripts in csh, lua, whatever.  The point is that the
package installation system needs to know what your package needs before
it's scripts can be ran.  Trying to set some arbitrary level of "OS
bits" and "applications" is doomed to fail.  We have a system that
handles the ordering for us, it just needs a few hints along the way.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!