RFC: fix summary text for lots of packages

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 20:35:19 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:48:42 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
>>> For instance, the following are over long, or repeat the program name:
>>>
>>> * System daemon that is a DBUS abstraction layer for package management
>>> * XQilla is an XQuery and XPath 2.0 library, built on top of Xerces-C
>>> * DeVeDe is a program to create video DVDs and CDs (VCD, sVCD or CVD)
>>>
>>> The following would be good replacements:
>>>
>>> * Package management framework
>>> * XQuery and XPath 2.0 library
>>> * Create video DVDs and CDs
>>>
>> * It would be good to have the program name mentioned here as well.
>
> Please don't. That has lead to many summaries, which look ugly
> if displayed next to the package name:
>
>   name - name is a...

Sorry.  I meant, mention the name in the Guideline.  Not mention the
name in the Summary:.  I agree with you 100% that package name in
summary is extraneous.

The examples in the Guideline should contain this information:

Name: XQilla
Verbose Summary: XQilla is an XQuery and XPath 2.0 library, built on top
of Xerces-C
Nice Summary: XQuery and XPath 2.0 library using Xerces-C
Notes:
* Putting package name in the summary was redundant
* Since this is a library, specifying this requires Xerces-C is a point
of differentiation.

-Toshio