Removing "minimal buildroot" dependencies from rpmdevtools

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Nov 20 21:19:22 UTC 2008

On Thursday 20 November 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:

> If the other depsolvers don't handle comps, they're rather useless in
> the Fedora world,

I don't think support for any kind of special grouping is a prerequisite for a
depsolver to be useful.  I don't remember ever missing that feature when I
used apt/smart, and now that I've been using mostly yum for a while, I don't
remember ever invoking any of its group* commands.  Plain old metapackages
have worked well for me in the (quite rare) cases where I've needed something
like that.  comps/yum grouping have their own valid purposes for different
use cases, but saying a depsolver without support for that is rather useless
is in my opinion more than a little extreme.

> where are grouping is done exclusively via comps.

Not really - we also have metapackages for grouping and new ones do get
introduced every now and then.  See for example git-all, perl-core, R.