RFC: fix summary text for lots of packages

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 21 21:58:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 21:52 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Friday 21 November 2008, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > Naheem Zaffar wrote:
> > > Considering that the package name is not given much prominence in the
> > > UI, is it really a bad thing to repeat it in the summary?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > As I understand it, the name is shown in the UI, [...]
>
> Leaving gnome-packagekit's current UI aside, is repeating the package name in
> summary something that people would rather not see done in any case?  I tend
> to think that it'd be better to not repeat it myself.  Just asking in case
> there's clear consensus on this - this is something that would be trivial to
> check in rpmlint.

 I think most of the hard and fast rules about this are going to fail,
as we are talking about human language. For instance:

% yum search fedora-release
fedora-release.noarch : Fedora release files
fedora-release-notes.noarch : Release Notes for Fedora 9.0.0

...now technically both of these fail the "repeat package name in
summary" rule, I'm not sure either of them needs to be "fixed" though.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora