No X on F9/F10 with Intel 82915G/GV/910GL

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 20:40:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 20:17 +0100, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 01:14:56PM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
>
> > Very strange.  What kind of display is it?  Are you using an SDVO card
> > (pseudo-PCIE looking thing with a tiny chip on one side and a DVI or
> > whatever connector on the other)?
>
> It's a completely integrated system with a 15" LCD display (with serial
> Elo touchscreen option), the IBM SurePOS 565:
>
> http://www-03.ibm.com/products/retail/products/pos/500/specs_eu.html
> http://www-03.ibm.com/products/retail/products/pos/500/prodview.html
>
> AFAIK the graphic chip is on the mainboard, but I'm not sure.
>
> On RHEL4 (currently used in production) and RHEL5 (tested a few times)
> I had to do some small tweaking to make it all work, like specifying
> "nofb" as kernel option, turning off acceleration ("NoAccel" "yes"),
> turning of acpi (mainly because of disk/USB problems), etc.
>
> I didn't try all combinations of tweaks yet, but AFAIK I never had a
> full black screen in RHELx, only other strange effects (like a display
> that 30% shifted vertically).

In RHEL5 you'd still be using the old BIOS-based i810 driver (assuming
you installed with 5.1 or older), which might work through blind luck.

The current theory is that it's trying to do LVDS over SDVO, which is a
bit insane since it has LVDS on the board already, and that's a path
that the driver currently doesn't support.  If we could get copies of
the video BIOS (and some testing time, if you're up for it) we can
probably work with intel to get it going.  Probably best to do that in a
bug, either in fedora or freedesktop bugzilla.

- ajax