error compiling postgresql with fedora mingw

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 25 19:05:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 16:34 -0200, Itamar - IspBrasil wrote:
> I am using lasted version from
>
> http://www.annexia.org/tmp/mingw/fedora-10/x86_64/
>
> I need only client library's (mysql and postgresql), to rebuild Qt using
> mingw with mysql and postgresql support
>

> On 11/25/2008 3:52 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Itamar - IspBrasil<itamar at ispbrasil.com.br>  writes:
> >
> >> any help ?
> >>

> > What version of fedora/mingw exactly?
> >

> >> i686-pc-mingw32-gcc -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
> >> -fexceptions --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -mms-bitfields -Wall
> >> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline
> >> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing
> >> -fwrapv zic.o ialloc.o scheck.o localtime.o -L../../src/port
> >> -Wl,--allow-multiple-definition   -lpgport -lz -lm  -lws2_32 -lshfolder
> >> -o zic.exe
> >> ../../src/port/libpgport.a: could not read symbols: Archive has no
> >> index; run ranlib to add one
> >>

> > Hmm, anything interesting in the part of the build log where libpgport.a
> > gets made?
> >
> > Postgres is known to build on mingw
> > http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl
> > so one way to attack the problem is to figure out what's different
> > between your installation and the ones on those mingw buildfarm machines.
> >
> > 			regards, tom lane

I think the problem with the .a above is due to the default 'ar' failing
to process the Windows style object symbols.

I managed to build PostgreSQL a couple of weeks back with MinGW on F9. I
had to override a few of the default tools, e.g.

$ make AR=i686-pc-mingw32-ar DLLTOOL=/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/bin/dlltool
DLLWRAP=i686-pc-mingw32-dllwrap

I also needed some tweaks to make it use i686-pc-mingw32-windres
and to execute the compiled "zic.exe" instead of just "./zic" (though in
the end I just skipped the whole timezone installation). I also ran into
a problem with a missing definition of UNICODE_STRING. Let me know if
you run into any more problems and I'll see if I can help.

	Jon