error compiling postgresql with fedora mingw

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Tue Nov 25 19:19:27 UTC 2008

Jon Burgess <jburgess777 at googlemail.com> writes:
> I think the problem with the .a above is due to the default 'ar' failing
> to process the Windows style object symbols.

> I managed to build PostgreSQL a couple of weeks back with MinGW on F9. I
> had to override a few of the default tools, e.g.

> $ make AR=i686-pc-mingw32-ar DLLTOOL=/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/bin/dlltool
> DLLWRAP=i686-pc-mingw32-dllwrap

That makes sense.  Could you have simplified matters by just prepending
/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/bin to your PATH?

> I also needed some tweaks to make it use i686-pc-mingw32-windres
> and to execute the compiled "zic.exe" instead of just "./zic" (though in
> the end I just skipped the whole timezone installation).

Agreed on skipping the timezone installation --- if you have
/usr/share/zoneinfo that's being kept reasonably up2date then it's
better to use that.

> I also ran into
> a problem with a missing definition of UNICODE_STRING.

UNICODE_STRING?  I don't see anything like that in the Postgres sources.

			regards, tom lane