New users confused about Spins' Names

Kulbir Saini kulbirsaini at students.iiit.ac.in
Wed Nov 26 11:53:55 UTC 2008

Hi list,

    Yesterday, I posted a blog entry[1] about Fedora 10 Release on my
blog and mentioned the Fedora 10 Spins availability with link to Fedora
Project page[2]. I have received a comment[3] which says,

    "I might be interested in some of the spins, but it's hard to tell.
The names contain acronyms, and the description simply repeats the
acronym. Unless I recognize what that acronym is, the name is useless.
What's FEL, AOS or broffice? XFCE is the only one I know, though others
might not even know that.

    Since the table has a description field for each spin, why not (at
least) expand the acronyms so folks have a clue as to whether or not it
might be useful? Even better, a link to a page describing the spin in
more detail. If it's worth the time and effort to create, it should be
worth the time it takes to write a paragraph describing it."

    Well, I also got confused by the acronyms, but quick googling
suggested the Fedora Project Wiki already has pages describing the
acronyms in details. I request people maintaining the spins to link the
description to their respective wiki pages.

[1] http://fedora.co.in/content/fedora-10-cambridge-released
[2] http://spins.fedoraproject.org/
[3] http://fedora.co.in/content/fedora-10-cambridge-released#comment-573

Thank you,
Kulbir Saini,
Computer Science and Engineering,
International Institute of Information Technology,
Hyderbad, India - 500032.

My Home-Page: http://saini.co.in/
My Project : http://cachevideos.com/
My Web-Blog: http://fedora.co.in/

IRC nick : generalBordeaux
Channels : #fedora, #fedora-devel, #yum on freenode

believed to be clean.