Fedora Release Engineering Meeting Recap 2008-11-24

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Nov 26 19:23:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 08:33:21 -0800,
  Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> My continued main concern with this though is fracturing the testing
> pool, and not capturing enough eyes/minds on the frozen content for the
> release.  The sad fact of many releases is that many people seem to not
> start looking at overall polish and bugfixing until the final freeze is
> hit.  They treat the final freeze as the last development day and expect
> to have time after that to do bugfixing.  Combining that with taking
> users away from the QA on those frozen bits could lead to an even worse
> release.  So I think there are two problems to solve there.

I didn't find continual testing of the frozen bits all that useful. I wanted
to continue tracking F10 bugfixes especially xorg-x11-drv-ati and kernel
fixes since Dave Airlie was trying really hard to get KMS in shape for the
release and rapid feedback seemed help.

So I think there are three tracks that should be under consideration, not just
two. One is tracking the release, another release plus potential zero day
updates and the last the next rawhide.