PulseAudio info needed

Peter Lemenkov lemenkov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 13:33:55 UTC 2008

2008/11/27 Bryn M. Reeves <bmr at redhat.com>:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>
>> There is a lot of FUD and general mistrust of PA.  It seems to me that it
>> would help a great deal if someone would write a short statement about what
>> PA is and how it should work.  If there is known readable references, they
>> would help too, as would noting any known work-arounds for problem.
>>
>> It would be a great help to those of us who try to give user support.  I'd
>> even put it on my own web space and direct folk to it, if that would help.
>
> There's a lot of good information on the PulseAudio project pages
> themselves:
>
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/AboutPulseAudio
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/FirstSteps
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/FAQ
>
> Maybe someone would be interested in summarising some of this and adding
> Fedora-specifics on the Fedora wiki to make it a bit less intimidating for
> novice users?

My advice to all novices is to remove pulseaudio (as yet, it's still
possible to remove almost completely this useless and buggy
component). I wonder how it was decided (and whom) to push in as a
default soundsystem?

Most amazing feature of F-10 is "glitch-free sound with PulseAudio".
Just think about - it's 2008 (almost 2009), and Fedora finally
promises that its default soundserver would sometimes works.

The most obscure part of PulseAudio story (except numerous "help!
pulseaudio doesn't work for me" posts in various russian linux forums)
is how it was chosen among other stable and mature alternatives. I
really don't understant it.

We got some soundservers already - namely, JACK, NAS, MAS (which was
developed under Freedesktop umbrella) and even ALSA native interface,
but someone choose solution which (even after long period of
development) still not ready for daily work and does not provide any
significant benefit to user even in long-term perspective.

--
With best regards!